Thursday, May 17, 2007

Staging

I got my staging packet in the mail yesterday. That's the final go-ahead I've been waiting for, as it contained the official departure date and travel information. I need to be in Philadelphia June 13th, and I'm leaving for Africa (first Johannesburg, then up to Lusaka, Zambia) on June 15th. In a month from today- that's it, just one month- I'll be in Zambia.

There's pretty much no way to actually get my mind around this, but I feel like it's happening for real this time. I've now down everything twice- gotten two invitations, two giant packets, and two staging packets- and what's left is the real, gritty, challenging, frustrating process of actually packing. This is where I got really bogged down, completely stressed out, and stopped sleeping in January. I'm hoping to avoid that this time around, and I'm actually further ahead than where I was when Guinea was still on the horizon. I have a new pair of dress shoes (which is way more significant than it seems, given that the last time I bought dress shoes I was, I think, a sophomore in high school). I have an iPod. I have several new pairs of Chacos in the mail, and I have an incredibly helpful list of packing suggestions from a girl who is currently in Zambia with the Peace Corps.

Now I just have to sit down in a large pile of my possessions and see whether they can all fit into my daypack (somehow I doub it, but I'm holding on to the possibility) or if I need to (okay, get to) get a new internal frame pack.

5 comments:

*Jess* said...

Hey.. I found you on here! Anyway, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon (exactly 3 weeks from tomorrow!) but I thought I'd send a message to tell you that I have a blog on here too! Hope you don't mind that I passed your email along to Kevin, I thought you may like to talk to him since you're in the same program. Anyway, have a great evening and see you in 21 days!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been sad over Madison leaving! Never did like cats much, but I’ve never been an outdoors person either, so who knows what I’ll end up liking. Hey, it’s Africa!
Can’t wait to meet you also!

Elena Johnston said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures!

Unknown said...

2 days! WOW!